Monday, March 12, 2012

Lazy Samoas



When you're a young girl, you're encouraged to join the Girl Scouts to learn how to be part of a team, to foster creativity and independence, and to encourage exploration of our world, but let's be honest, the only reason any young girl really wants to be a Girl Scout is so she can be an inside (wo)man for the whole cookie operation.

Maybe it's because they're only offered once a year, maybe it's their adorable sales people, or maybe there really is something magical in the batter; regardless of what it is (given the slightly scary ingredient list, I'm going to guess it's one of the first two), everyone loves a Girl Scout cookie. These coconut and chocolate delicacies were my personal favorite. I could eat a whole box in one sitting and probably still would, if they were made a little more closely to the ones I'm going to share with you now.

After switching from a vegetarian to a vegan diet well over a year ago, I thought that was the end of my Girl Scout cookie eatin' days. I wept, I mourned, I came to terms with their absence...but then I discovered the amazing book known as Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar and suddenly the skies were bluer and the hop was back in my step. I even made these for vegan friends, one of whom was nearly brought to tears after the realization that this childhood favorite had been revived in a more wholesome way.


Lazy Samoas
Again, this recipe comes from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, though I have adapted it to make it a gluten and refined sugar free.

2 cups grated unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut palm sugar (though you can use either brown sugar or Sucanat--I've made it both ways)
1/3 cup nondairy milk
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup of gluten-free flour** (see note!)
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon xantham gum
2 tablespoons applesauce (or more as needed**)

1 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Pour shredded coconut into a large skillet and toast over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and toast to a light golden brown. Be mindful as to avoid burning, which can happen easily. Promptly remove from heat and set aside. Continue to stir for a few moments to avoid burning from residual heat.

3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the oil, sugar, milk, flax seed, and vanilla until well blended and smooth. Add flour, baking soda, salt, and xantham gum to form a thick batter. Fold in coconut.

4. Scoop about one tablespoon of dough two inches apart on the cookie sheets. I like to roll these into balls and flatten somewhat in my palms before placing on the sheets. Use your pinky finger or a toothpick to create a hole in the center. I tend to have a little trouble with cracking here as a result of the gluten-free flours but you can add a touch more milk or applesauce if it's really bad, otherwise, just kind of pinch together--they'll stay together once they've been baked. Bake for 8 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown.

5. Let the cookies cool for about five minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Prepare a baking sheet or cutting board with parchment paper (I generally use the same piece they were baked on).

6. While the cookies continue to cool, melt the chocolate chips along with the two tablespoons of coconut oil in a double boiler. Allow the chocolate to cool slightly, then dip the bottoms of the cookies into the chocolate and place on the prepared cutting board. Repeat until all the cookies have been coated. Then, drizzle the remaining chocolate over the cookies with a fork. Chill for at least 30 minutes to firm the chocolate. I like to make these a day or so in advance and let the cookies spend one night in the freezer, which I find really helps the chocolate stay solid.

**For gluten-free flours, I really like to use 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1/4 cup tapicoa starch, 1/4 cup white rice; though I have used 1 cup coconut flour and 1 cup of Bob's Red Mill AP Gluten Free Blend to successful results as well. I imagine that 1/2 cup of oat flour + 1/2 coconut or white rice would also be a winning blend, but I haven't tested that yet. Depending on the combination of flours you use, you may need a little more applesauce or non-dairy milk to make the dough pliable. If you are not GF, use all purpose flour and omit the xantham gum and applesauce.


No comments:

Post a Comment