Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wilted Green Avocado Warm Salad



It might be a little surprising but for being a vegan and a gluten-free one at that, I have little to no interest in salad. In fact, if you were to suggest a restaurant to me based on their salads, you would quickly see my eyes roll in reply. But occasionally, maybe in the instance of a full moon, I throw together whatever vegetables I have laying around and surprise myself with a creation that can only be described by that dreaded word: salad.

While struggling to finish off the surplus of produce I naively purchased last weekend, I discovered four very ripe avocados sitting at the bottom of my produce drawer. Knowing these poor fruits had a mere few days, if not hours, before slipping into the world of inedible, I decided they must be incorporated into my next several meals. Along with the broccoli and Power Greens that were also navigating this thin line, this very simple, yet amazingly delicious wilted green avocado salad was born.


Wilted Green + Avocado Warm Salad
Serves Two

If Earthbound Farms Power Greens are not available at your local grocer, feel free to sub baby spinach, kale, chards, or even arugula.

2 ripe and chilled avocados, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1.5 cups of broccoli, thinly chopped
2 cups of Power Greens or greens of your choice
a scant teaspoon of cumin
s + p

1. Sprinkle diced avocado with salt and pepper and set aside.
2. In a medium pan, heat 1/8 cup of water over high heat. Add the carrots and broccoli and let cook for about 8 minutes or until most of the water has evaporated and the vegetables are beginning to soften. You don't want them to be mushy though so keep an eye on them.
3. Once the water has mostly evaporated, turn the heat down to low and add the greens. Mix the vegetables for about one minute and remove from heat.
4. Add cumin and avocado, mix well.
5. Season with salt and pepper as desired and serve warm.

*I don't eat a great deal of protein but if you would like to add protein to this salad, feel free to throw in a hand full of cooked garbanzo beans, they would go wonderfully.


I told you, it's as simple as they come but the blend of flavors is amazing. This is the kind of salad I could eat everyday.


No comments:

Post a Comment