Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mexican Mung Bean Wraps




Several months ago, I came across a package of sprouted mung beans at Whole Foods and on a whim decided to grab them, even though I've never had mung beans and my only knowledge of them was from an episode of The Office where Creed states that they smell like death. Yum, right?

Well those mung beans sat in their pretty little package for a few months. And then I moved them to a jar. And then they sat in that jar for another month or two. Clearly, I should avoid spontaneous purchases.

I was happy to have them though the other night when I was trying to come up with the next day's lunch. I'm not sure how long unsprouted mung beans take, but these cooked in about ten minutes, making them ideal for a quick meal. My inspiration was a fresca-Mexicana type burrito-wrap and it turned out exactly as I had envisioned.




Mexican Mung Bean Fresca Wraps
Makes two wraps

1/2 cup sprouted mung beans, uncooked (can use regular, though check the cooking instructions)
1 carrot, shredded
1 roma tomato, diced
1/4 small head of cabbage, diced
Cilantro, finely chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Lemon juice to taste
S&P

Sprouted grain tortillas or wraps of your choice
Veganaise
Avocado, smashed

1. Cook mung beans according to directions. The beans I used said to use a 1:3 ratio with water, then boil for 5 minutes, remove from heat and allow to sit for about 8 minutes. They also had a raw option of soaking the beans overnight in water. Once the beans are soft, drain and set aside.

2. Dice all of your vegetables and mix in a large bowl. Add the mung beans and seasonings. Blend well. Add lemon juice to your taste preference, I used about half a lemon's worth of juice. Adjust seasonings and refrigerate overnight.

3. In the morning, assemble your wrap. You could mix the avocado and Veganaise together and then spread across the tortillas. Then add your filling, along with any greens or sprouts that you might like to include.




I told you, it was a very easy and quick lunch, but very nutritious and delicious. Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment